Although Isaac isn't saying any real words yet (lots of da-da and ga and mm and ba, but no indication that any of these sounds have meaning), he gave us his first official sign today! We've been doing a couple of very basic baby signs ("milk" for nursing and "more" for more food) with him for the past month or two, and today he let us know that he is definitely catching on.
After he and Amelia had their naps this afternoon, I brought Amelia some graham crackers, and then looked over at him to see if he might want a cracker, too. He looked right at me and did the "milk" sign. Although Luke saw it too, I really thought I was making it up, so I asked him, "What do you want, Isaac? Do you want to nurse?" and he did it again! A few minutes later (after nursing, of course, so he knew I understood what I thought he was trying to tell me), I did the milk sign to him, and he did it right back. So exciting! Although Amelia did a handful of signs during her babyhood, she was talking before she was signing so it didn't seem quite as much like the communication breakthrough it does with Isaac. Yay, Isaac!
2 comments:
Yay, Isaac! It's so much fun when they start to communicate! Now if I could only get Henry to nurse like Isaac will. I've pretty much given up hope. :-(
Way to go, sweet Isaac! Hope you'll do some signs while I'm visiting this week!
Love, Grammie
Post a Comment