Despite the smiles, Amelia has not been a total fan of dance class this year. Last year when she had it in the morning right in our neighborhood, she loved it and was always excited to go. This year, her class is in the afternoon and requires a rush to get ready because it's right after the kids' nap/rest time and we have a 15-minute drive just to get there. Amelia always complained about getting ready; the tights were itchy or the tutu was scratchy or the shoes were too tight. But once we were in the car and then at class, all seemed to be forgotten and fun was had... or at least it looked that way to me. According to Amelia, it wasn't that great and she would "rather do gymnastics," but I told her that she needed to stick it out until the recital and then she didn't have to do it this summer or next year and could choose a new activity.
So... dress rehearsal day arrives, and I can tell Amelia is feeling nervous. She is fidgety but totally quiet and keeps telling me to be quiet and not chat with other moms so I can make sure I hear what Miss Lauren is telling us. :) All of a sudden, it was time for all the kids to go backstage, and she was whisked away with the class moms. Next thing I saw of her was on the big stage. After her reheasal was finished, I went backstage to get her and she was all smiles: "Mom, I really liked the rehearsal, and I think I'm going to really like the recital." After the recital itself, Amelia said, "I loved being up there. I wanted to just keep dancing but then our song was over!" Now she's having second thoughts about quitting dance. But of course she says she wants to do the tap/ballet/jazz combination class PLUS tumbling. We'll see what the tune is in August. :) And yes... they did get a trophy for being in a dance recital. Tiger Mom would not approve, but Amelia certainly did.
Our little tapper. In the show, they danced to Ella Fitzgerald's version of 'A Tisket, A Tasket.'
Amelia Ballerina
Amelia and her proud audience before the show
Amelia's class backstage. They couldn't get enough of their 10-year-old assistant, Miss Rachel! (And yes, that is what a 10-year-old looks like these days: All hot pants and strappy tank tops. She had actually just turned 10 the day before. I am officially scared of tweendom.)

1 comment:
I just love the ballerina photo on the front steps! She is so sweet.
Post a Comment