I'll start by saying that we had a wonderful time visiting with our families in Chapel Hill over the Thanksgiving holiday. We ate lots of delicious food (including a glorious date night out at Bonne Soiree), visited with much of our extended family, and watched some fabulous late-night basketball (okay, so I didn't stay up for the games, but Luke and my dad were the true Tar Heel Faithful).
The not-so-fun part: the SEVEN hour drive back on I-95 accompanied by Isaac's near-nonstop screaming. (For comparison's sake, the trip usually takes 4 1/2 hours, and Isaac was a complete angel on the drive down). Periodically, Amelia would demand that I search through our car CD collection to "find a lullaby for Isaac!" We were all going completely crazy, and I started thinking that maybe we should just celebrate Thanksgiving on our own next year. The only saving graces were the portable DVD player, Dora, and Elmo. I'm sure we'll be back in NC for Thanksgiving again next year, but we might need to re-think our driving schedule once again.
Anyway, back to the highs...
Luke's dad graciously hosted Thanksgiving dinner again this year, a wonderful tradition that was started the year Luke and I were married in an attempt to keep us from having to "choose" who to celebrate the holiday with. He includes all of my family (including grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and anyone else who wants to come), Luke's mom and stepdad and any members of their family, as well as several friends of his. It is a true blended Thanksgiving family affair, and it is so luxurious to eat yummy food and not have to clean up before OR after. Thank you, Duffy!
Another fun part of our trip was watching Amelia with her cousin Carolina, who is about seven months older. We hadn't seen them since last Christmas (!), so it was the first time they really noticed each other and played together. Amelia just loved sitting next to Carolina at the Day-After-Thanksgiving brunch at Grammie's, and they did some super cute dancing and playing together after the meal. Can't wait to see them together at Christmas!
2 comments:
yay! fun thanksgiving! duffy's is the perfect spot, i bet.
and i love girl cousins. lifelong friends. well, sometimes.
Susannah,
I heard about your troubles. While driving back we also had some troubles. We drove through most of SC in rain (at times heavy) and on I-95 sitting with the car in park. Luckily I purchased a new GPS thingy and I was able to navigate a detour (TWICE). Then at the very end (only 20 mins from home) my car decides to get a flat on the side of the interstate in the DARK!! I managed to change it and got back into the car more than a little frazzled. But we made it home in one piece by the grace of God.
Maybe next year will be better for you - Isaac will be older (Amelia too!) You can do - we're supermoms!!
Your cuz,
Amy
Post a Comment