Sunday, March 1, 2009

Remembering Granddaddy

My dad's dad (Granddaddy, to me and his other grandchildren) passed away on February 15, and we attended his memorial service in Greensboro this past weekend. Granddaddy was a wonderful, soft-spoken, gentle man. He was my first dentist when I was a child, and I was privileged to work as one of his assistants on a dental mission to rural Bolivia when I was in high school. He was a great lover of Carolina basketball and football, and he took me and my brother and all our cousins to many games throughout our lives, even when he knew we were there more to socialize than to watch the game. I have fond memories of sampling all the fine cuisine of Kenan Stadium with my cousin Hannah and then walking around the field to see if we saw anyone we knew from middle school. His love for his grandchildren was truly unconditional -- although none of us really tested it by daring to go to Duke. :)

I still can't believe you are really gone, Granddaddy. You made the world a better place, and I miss you so much already.

Granddaddy, Amelia & me (2007)

Granddaddy, my mom & me (1977)

3 comments:

Sandra said...

Susannah, what a sweet, loving tribute to your beloved Grandaddy. Your touching words and pictures speak volumes about how much he meant to you and your family.

Lindsay Margenau said...

Those are incredible pics of the generations repeating themselves - how beautiful!

Melissa Walker said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Susannah. How wonderful that he got to meet his great-grandchildren for a bit! You know he's proud that Amelia is already a vocal Carolina fan!