WARNING: As you you might guess, this post has lots of mentions of poop and pee. Not for the squeamish.
We've officially bitten the bullet on full-on potty training. I was looking through Amelia's baby book last week sometime and realized that she first peed on the potty in January 2008! So, it's been a full YEAR of offering the potty to Amelia, being okay with her refusals, and making a big happy deal of the handful of times she has agreed to go. Recently it's become clear to me that Amelia is staying dry longer and that she knows when she is about to pee or poop. She's also been asking to pee on the potty whenever we are away from the house (at the grocery store, at the library, at other people's houses, etc.) I really think she is ready.
So, off Luke and Amelia went to Target to pick out some special underpants (she chose Little Mermaid, Minnie Mouse, and some sports-themed training pants), some new stickers, and a timer. Since then, Amelia's been wearing underpants during the day (nighttime is a whole separate issue...) and sitting on the potty whenever the timer goes off (every 45 minutes after a pee, every 20 minutes after an unsuccessful attempt). Whenever she pees, she gets to pick out a sticker and put it on her potty chart. If no pee, no big deal.
The good news: Over the weekend, she had ZERO pee accidents. One day she peed nine times at home and twice at Whole Foods. She also made it through naptime each day with dry underpants or pull-ups! So far, she's only had one pee accident, and it was while watching TV this morning -- a time when she is definitely not paying the closest attention to her body.
The not-so-great news: She really doesn't like pooping on the potty (it's only happened once ever, and it wasn't on purpose). She has had several poop accidents in her underpants over the weekend, and it didn't really bother her that much. She just came to one of us and said, "Change my poopy underpants." Yesterday, I tried to watch her vigilantly when I thought she might be sneaking off to poop, but no luck. She actually told me she needed to poop several different times yesterday, but then she changed her mind once we got to the potty. And she's now gone 36+ hours without pooping. I think someone is getting prunes with her lunch today.
1 comment:
I love your frankness here! I'm turning back to this blog when I'm in need (in, like 10 years!). :)
Post a Comment